Families under Addiction and in Recovery: Exploring the Topic
Join us on Tuesday night, February 6 for the next Community Night.
Benjamin Latner, MSW, LSW, LCADC, Counselor for The Counseling Center at Fair Lawn will speak on addiction, the stages of recovery, and how this disease affects families and loved ones. He will provide guidance on how to take care of yourself while the addict in your family finds their road to recovery.
A parent who has been attending our Family Nights support groups for over 2 years will speak about her own journey, and she found peace in her life.
Date: Tuesday 2/6/18
Location: The Counseling Center at Fair Lawn
Address: 16-01 Broadway Fair Lawn, NJ 07410 (click here for directions)
This is open to the public, but pre-registration is required. Please RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/community-night-with-the-counseling-center-at-fair-lawn-tickets-42749333407
Recovery is a systems theory which affects everyone including the addict, the nuclear family, and the subsystems which the addict works in and lives in (job, school, home and community). We will explore the concept of recovery, including:
• Trust: Stages of Trust; A process, not an event. Continually evolving. Communication breaks down: “walking on eggshells”
• Co-Dependency: Anger and frustration on the part of the loved one; and guilt and shame on the part of the addict.
• Detachment/Self Care: related to co-dependency. Must be able to care for ourselves, not only focus on addict
• Parent Speaks --how real, local parents have survived and evolved through the recovery process from distrust, to trust, to self-care, to caring for addict without being an enabler.
• After Care & Clincial Support -- Exploring the role of clinical treatment at The Counseling Center at Fair Lawn, helping to expedite the process of recovery. Incuding Intensive Outpatient Group, Outpatient Group, Family Counseling, Individual Counseling / Individual work, and a review of Medically Assisted Treatment (MAT).
There will be a live and informative Q & A Session after the presentations and discussions.